Monday, March 10, 2014

Meet Somer, our marketing, social media guru and personality behind The Studio Hampton Roads

Good Morning Hampton Roads!!

A little bit about me...  For the most part, I tend to be a private person. However, there’s a pin going around on Pinterest that states “I’m Shy at first, but I do the stupidest random stuff when I get comfortable with someone.” That sums me in a sentence. I’m observant, take my time to get to know someone and don’t like putting everything that happens in my life out to the world. I open up, as I get comfortable. I love making others laugh; heck I love making myself laugh. Sometimes I get to laughing so hard at myself it becomes much funnier (probably because I start putting a silly story behind it in my head). I’m sarcastic, fun loving and loyal. I’m a work at home mom (WAHM). I take care of my two beautiful little girls; prep for little man who should be making is arrival any day now (or at least I hope) and run The Studio Hampton Roads. My mind is always going. I love being a part of something bigger than myself.


In 2001, I decided to join the Marine Corps and ended up with a flight contract and got selected to fly the “fat girl”, as we affectionately call the UH-1N Huey.  Three tours to Iraq and 9 years later, I decided to get out as Kevin and I were expecting our second child.


I have so much love for my family, and much like Katy, I work better under pressure.  After picking up a camera to capture the everyday moments of life, I knew I wanted to do more with photography, so I began learning as much as I could about photography and started a small photography business.

After moving to Virginia from San Diego, I knew I wanted to submerse myself in the local photography community. After about a year and a half, I decided to start looking for a place that could be used as an alternative to hotels for photographing women. It didn’t have to be a big space, but it had to be clean, affordable and tasteful. I was shown a place right behind Behind The Veil and while it was rough around the edges (to say the least) let’s say it had the potential to be perfect. ☺
After some paint & new flooring, I couldn’t have been happier with the place. But truth told I didn’t know if anyone would be interested in using the space, and never did I imagine that the photography community as a whole would welcome The Studio with opens arms. From Day 1, I have had nothing but support from the Hampton Roads area as a whole and I am completely overwhelmed with gratitude.  Want to learn a little more about how The Studio HR came to be? Check out 'Fufilling a Community Need'.


If Katy is the “man behind the curtain”, I guess I am the Wizard in front of it. ☺ I run most of our social media platforms for The Studio to include:

 Twitter 
 Google+ 
 Instagram 
(Standby for this one, it should be fun!) 

I love interacting with people and genuinely want to connect and share! 

If you'd like to keep up with me personally, you can find me here on social media:


No comments:

Post a Comment